Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Faces at the Museum

This morning we were given free rein to explore the British Museum. The museum guide lists "A History of the World in 100 objects", based on the BBC Radio 4 series, broadcast in 2010. And although I initially considered attempting to see all 100 objects, meandering through the exhibits was much more to my liking, especially for a first time visitor. Since the museum is only a block away from where we are staying and it is free to enter, I plan to go back several more times.

You enter into the Great Court which is dramatic, inspiring, and a photographer's dream. All my shots today were looking up, but I will be back to get other perspectives.


 Egyptian Pharaoh Amenhotep III
The faces of the statues were compelling. Carved from whatever materials were available, rough or refined, intact through the years or deformed by time, each one imparts knowledge of a part of civilization. Throughout history man has recorded his likeness, and throughout history man has been fascinated by those who have lived before them.


Ramesses II - about 1270 BC
Red Granite Head of a King - 1390 BC?
Amenhotep I - Thebes, about 1510 BC
Lely's Venus
Limestone Grave Relief, Tremithus, Cyprus
Boy Wearing Rich Jewelry, Cyprus

3 comments:

  1. Tink, you are a natural photographer - you capture your subjects very well -- the perspective, lighting, framing, everything is really well done. I'm so impressed. And, do you know what else? I'm totally enjoying your writing. You write really well in spite of what you say. Keep enjoying your time. I'm totally envious.
    --karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karen for saying exactly what I'm thinking! Word for word I agree....Tinky you're creating an amazing account of this trip, imagine what we'd have had you done this all your years of fab trips....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with them, Tink. I hope you will do more of this in the future. I don't think I've read your writing before - outstanding! Your blog is great!

    ReplyDelete